So, as the title of this post, I have super exciting news for you guys! My girlfriend, Allison, and I have decided to work together to make an online book club! Our book club is called “The Garden of Books” on Discord (it is just an online server for those who don’t know what Discord is).
This all started back a few months ago when I suggested to Allison that herself, another friend and I should start a mini book club so we could stay connected with each other. I was a bit hesitant to do because I was done school and the other two weren’t. So, I kept it to Allison and myself up until this past weekend when Allison brought it up and said, “let’s do this”. I made a group chat on Facebook to see if the three of us could do this but my other friend (who is in an English major with super heavy textbook readings), said that she would love to, but she doesn’t think she could handle the extra readings, which Allison and I totally understand.
So, then Allison started to look online for book clubs and found one on Discord then she started to think about the book club idea. She has always wanted to host a server like this, so she suggested that we start our own Discord server for our book club, and I was totally for it!
AND that is how “The Garden of Books” was born! She and I joke that it is our baby together, but it really is. We are super excited to share this club with everyone who is passionate about books and a good conversation (and maybe some other stuff as well).
With that, Allison and I would like to invite anyone and everyone to join us! Here is the link: https://discord.gg/WC7FqU7 . Our first book is “Siddhartha” by Hermann Hesse if you are wanting to join this month.
When you get on Discord, it will walk you through how to use it and everything! Allison has created different chats for different things like welcomes, introductions, book chats, etc.
If anyone is nervous about the introductions, don’t worry, I have some questions that you can use a guide or not do it. We want everyone to feel comfortable in our community, so do whatever feels comfortable.
Anyways, I hope to see you guys on “The Garden of Books”, enjoy “Siddhartha” by Hermann Hesse and enjoy a good cup of Forever Nuts tea from DAVIDsTEA!
- What is your name? (feel free to use a nickname or whatever if you don’t want to use your real name)
- Why did you join “The Garden of Books”?
- What is your favourite type of book?
- What is your all-star of books?
- What is your favourite type of plants?
- What is your favourite drink to have while reading?
- Are you tea, coffee, or wine drinker? (or whatever type of drinker?)
- What is your favourite childhood book?
- Who is your favourite author?
- If you have any hobbies, what are they?
- What is your occupation?
- What is your goal when you join “The Garden of Books”?
- How did you hear about “The Garden of Books”?
- How many books do you read in a year? Or how many do you want to read?
- Have you ever been in a book club before?
- Fun fact about yourself!
You can introduce yourself in whatever way you want, if you are stuck, feel free to use pick a couple of questions and answer them.